Having a great sex life not only adds to your relationship, but it bumps up your overall life satisfaction as well. The intimacy of sex brings you closer to your partner, and this closeness combined with the physical satisfaction of good sex can make you happier in your everyday life. Even if you think your sex life is alright as it is, putting in the effort to make it as satisfying as possible can bring great benefits.
Regular Sex has Many Benefits
One study found that frequent lovemaking increases relationship satisfaction on a very subconscious level. This idea is further supported by hard numbers; another study that looked at over a thousand couples of the span of six years found that those who where very happy with their sex lives were 80 percent less likely to divorce. If you could increase your likelihood of having a great relationship just by prioritizing sex, why wouldn’t you?
Great sex isn’t just great for your relationship. Researchers have estimated that increasing the frequency of sex from once a month to once a week brings the same amount of happiness as a $50,000 salary raise. Plus, sex has health benefits; it can reduce your risk of many health conditions including depression and heart disease.
The Importance of Intimacy
An amazing sex life with your partner is basically made up of two components: Intimacy and passion. Intimacy is the emotional side of it, while passion is the animalistic side. Ideally, your relationship should have plenty of both.
An intimate sexual relationship is characterized by physical affection such as kissing, cuddling, holding hands and caressing, as well as affectionate words and support. You can increase intimacy by making a point to do these things more often. One study that examined data from over 400 people found that people who engage in these affectionate behaviors after having sex are happier with their relationships and sex lives, regardless of how often they actually have sex.
Increase Passion by Venturing out of Your Comfort Zone
However, intimacy is only one side of the equation. Passion is just about equally important. Sex might be intimate, but without passion it can’t be mind-blowing or wild! One of the very best ways to increase passion is to get out of your comfort zone. This means to break your usual routine and do something you normally wouldn’t. Trying new things or things you don’t do often is a great way to have some fun and spice up your sex life.
Here are six ideas to try that are sure to increase passion and give an exciting boost to your sex life:
1. Try something small and see where it leads. This could be as simple as giving each other full-body massages, or sleeping naked if you normally wear pajamas. Little things like these can also create a nice surprise for your partner.
2. Make love in a new location. This could be a luxurious hotel room, or simply a pillow fort in your living room. Or, try making love on different furniture than you usually do, such as on the couch rather than in bed.
3. Have some fun by trying out flavored personal lubricants. This can put an adventurous twist on oral sex. Remember that using food items, like chocolate syrup or whipped cream, can get too messy and can cause yeast infections, so they are not a good idea.
4. Shed your sexual inhibitions and try talking dirty to your partner when you have sex. This will get you both hot and bothered!
5. Sexting isn’t just something young people do. No matter your age, sending tantalizing messages or pictures to your partner while you’re apart will build excitement and passion until the next time you see each other.
6. There are a huge variety of erotic toys and accessories on the market. You can use toys on their own, or use them to add to your pleasure during lovemaking. A couple’s shopping trip can help you find some you both like.
Trying new things in bed can often be intimidating. But, with enthusiasm and communication, you may discover a new favorite for your and your partner. Getting out of your sexual comfort zone to increase passion is well worth it!